Oral health is crucial to overall wellness. Numerous studies link poor periodontal disease to cardiovascular diseases and even cancer. But how do we keep our mouth clean without using toxic mouthwashes and even toothpastes, laden with fluoride, food dyes, parabens, phthalates, sodium laurel sulfate (SLS) and other toxins? With an essential oil mouthwash that taps into the amazing, therapeutic powers of aromatherapy without hurting your oral microbiome!
Similar to our skin and gut, the oral cavity is home to a unique ecosystem called the microbiome. As the entrance to both the digestive and respiratory systems, it is a battlefield. Pathogenic agents are trying to make headway to wreak havoc on our body while the immune system and probiotic bacteria are trying to fend them off. Therefore, it is important to keep our oral microbiome in a state where the “good guys” are winning. Read the NPE articles mentioned below for better elaboration, but here a couple to pointers.
- Eat a low-sugar diet. Sugar erodes your enamel and feeds the pathogenic bacteria.
- Swish saliva in our mouth. It is a natural mouth cleaner.
- Avoid gum, unless it is flavored solely by xylitol.
- Avoid conventional mouthwashes and toothpaste.
- Brush, floss, and tongue-scrap daily (minimally).
- Extract any teeth that have had a root canal. (Will elaborate in a future article.)
- Avoid antibiotics unless absolutely necessary.
Some NPE article that are relevant to this article.
- Why conventional chewing gum is harmful to our health.
- The role of probiotics.
- The danger of artificial sweeteners.
- Natural Remedies for Bad Breath.
- 5 Morning Biohacks
If you are one who needs to have a mouthwash, try this essential oil mouthwash. The brandy is a great liquid antiseptic. Mixed with the powerful antimicrobial essential oils of thyme, peppermint, clove, and fennel, its power is amplified. Plus you will have a nice odor emanating from your mouth.
Brandy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker Essential Oil MouthwashPrint This
- 4 ounces of brandy
- 10 drops thyme essential oil
- 15 drops peppermint essential oil
- 5 drops fennel essential oil
- 5 drops clove essential oil
Mix the ingredients together.
Add 2 teaspoons of the mix to a glass of warm water.
Rinse mouth well.
Spit out rinse…do not swallow.
Adjust as necessary based on taste preference.
Let us know what you think of your new mouthwash!
Subscribe to Naturopathic Earth Radio and Kate’s Apothecary: A Guide to Essential Oils & Herbs for the Everyday Person on Apple Podcasts, Soundcloud, or elsewhere for great tips and biohacks on naturopathy and clean eating!
Check out the NPE Radio episode on The Problems with Store-Bought Mouthwash.